Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Who needs TV?

I have recently become very disillusioned with Television, I have often been skeptical of it's content but now I just straight believe most of commercially aired programs are out to manipulate their lazy minded viewers.... news programs especially! The way Channel 9 are sensationalising the Lebanon conflict between Israel and Hezbollah at the moment is a down right disgrace!

With my scepticism of television I have moved to the internet for all my news reports. The BBC being my main source. What they report would bore the socks of most people... why? Because it's truthful, not colorful.

Another place I go to source my knowledge is the ever expanding world of Wikipedia. I believe it's the best website out in Cyberspace, mainly because it's a news source run by the people of the internet, average Joe's like you and me. Yes some of the information may not be fully 'verified', but it definitely isn't sensationalised and here is a great example of how it can quench any curious thirst for answers and knowledge:

A few hours ago I read a story on the net that Australia is right now sending a further 200 troops to Afghanistan and it got me wondering how big the Australian Army actually is. Upon reading the information I discovered that Australian troops played a part in the The Boer War, a war I knew nothing about. So I followed the link through. In doing so I discovered that a name I had heard before Breaker Morant played a part in that war. So read up on his story and an incredible one it is, and it lead me to believe Lord Kitchener a famous British Field Marshall to be nothing but a villain, but upon following up his life story I found my judgment to be far from fair.

Could any of these answers been achieved with my TV remote..... yeah right!

Power to the people.... and power to the freedom of the net I say!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home