Thursday, September 07, 2006

Finding my voice

When I read 'How to write a Damn good novel II' I understood most of what James Frey was talking about. I may be great at implementing it but I had an understanding of what he meant.
All except the part about "Voice" finding your narrating voice. I knew all about, 1st person, 3rd person, past and present tense and all that jargon, and had made a choice on those aspects. But I didn't really understand the part about choosing your voice. I believe now that one reason was because I hadn't read enough books to know what he was talking about.

I have now just finished reading a book coincidentally by James Frey, but another James Frey. A million Little pieces it a slightly controversial book about his struggle to overcome a drug and alcohol addiction. Controversy aside it is a brilliant book and I read it faster than any other book ever, and I know why. Because I felt I could relate to him. He wrote with such passion and raw truth that I could relate to nearly everything he wrote.

I have spent a lot of time forcing myself to write. In hind sight I should have spent more time reading, that way I could decide 'how' I wanted to write. As I didn't know my writing 'voice'.
I feel now I have a better understanding of that. And I feel that if I stay true to my 'voice' I won't have to force myself to write anything anymore.

My writing will just flow naturally.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home